Well I got the wheel ready to go back on. Here it is with the masking removed.
The next challenge was to get the "rust ring" put on the tire. At least for now it isn't rusty anymore.
Check out the sidewalls on that ancient tire. It's funny what a lot of years can do to your tire.
What a sweet moment, mounting the wheel back on the car. I painted the brake drum with heat resistant black paint. The can said it would be good for 1200 degrees F. I figured that if the drums got that hot I would be in trouble. At least I wouldn't have to worry about a brake fluid fire as these are all mechanical.
It took awhile to find 6 straight hub bolts, and I had to run the die over them to be able to put the nuts on. I think I will buy new hub bolts for all the wheels.
I used my big spanner to install it so I could get the full retro feeling.
And here it is with the tire installed. Hooray!! One done only three more to go.
I took the other back wheel off tonight and started to work on it. Hopefully it won't take as long as this one did.