Friday, December 28, 2012

Rim work

The previous owner had sort of modified some carriage bolts to mount the tires. They didn't work well but the idea was good.
I spent some time with a grinder and did some more modification.

The middle bolt is the unmodified one, the two sides are with some grinder work.
They fit snug in the rim now.

I also had some damage on the rim that needed some attention.

This area on the rim was badly beat up. A little work after I get a new Dremel should have it looking like new.

Tire ring problem solved

As you saw in a previous post the ring that goes on the tire was missing some connection pieces.
I built a piece to tie the two ends together and welded it to the rim.

Here is the piece I put in, it still needs a little work.
Here it is closed up. I may drill the new part so it can be pinned to keep it from shifting while it is installed.
To see what I needed to make I pulled the other rear to compare. Oddly enough it was totally different.


Here is the other side, it must be from a different year or model.

Monday, December 17, 2012

Back to work

Well I noticed it's been over a month since I posted anything. I had not done much but a little rust cleanup on the wheel.

I had some time this weekend to do some work so I decided to drill my driveway to mount my vise and bender.

The bolts don't line up too well with my vise since they were drilled to match the bender, but it's good enough.

After taking the wire wheel to the rust on the inside of this ring the piece that ties the ends together fell off.

The rivets just pulled through. I guess the heads rusted away.

So I put some new weld heads on them. With a little grinding it will be good as new.

I'm not exactly sure what is supposed to go in here. Hopefully one of the other wheels has this piece so I can make a replacement.

I was also able to straighten out the edges of the ring so that they were more parallel.